Yesterday (28 February), Minister of Human Resources YB M. Kulasegaran, and Deputy Minister of Home Affairs, YB Datuk Mohd Azis Haji Jamman, launched the new Malaysia Expatriate Talent Service Centre (MYXpats Centre) in Petaling Jaya.
The Malaysian Government also revealed plans are in place to open two more branches in Penang and Johor to cater to the needs of employers and expatriates in the Northern and Southern regions. Both branches are expected to be ready by 2020.
At the opening, it was highlighted that among the over 16,900 companies registered on the Expatriate Services Division (ESD) system, expatriates made up only 10% of total hired staff, while Malaysians made up the remaining 90%. This indicated a strong preference for the hiring of citizens first.
In his speech, Kulasegaran reiterated the Government’s commitment to ensuring Malaysians are the first priority in efforts to address the nation’s critical skills gap.
He said: "The Government is committed to safeguarding the interests of the Malaysian workforce while balancing the need for expatriate talent, especially those with expertise needed by the priority sectors spearheading Malaysia’s economic growth."
Photo caption: YB M Kulasegaran, Minister of Human Resources (left) with YB Datuk Azis Jamman, Deputy Minister of Home Affairs (right) during the press conference earlier today at TalentCorp’s office.
Kulasegaran added that the MYXpats Centre and Talent Corporation Malaysia Berhad (TalentCorp) will work closely with the Ministry of Home Affairs, Immigration Department of Malaysia (JIM), and the industry to ensure that every angle is considered before an expatriate's application to work in Malaysia is approved.
Datuk Azis agreed that expatriates both complement and fill the gaps within the workforce. He said: "Through investments and knowledge transfer, expatriates help increase sectoral standards, attract foreign direct investment, and ensure a diverse and inclusive spirit in our thriving marketplace."
Two new initiatives to create the right environment for investorsBoth ministers also expressed the Government's commitment to creating a robust talent ecosystem that will attract and enable top international investors to grow thriving businesses in Malaysia. In turn, creating jobs for local talent and promoting skills transfer.
To facilitate investments from global companies to Malaysia, the Government has come up with a series of initiatives to create the right environment for investors:
- System Integration for Approving Authorities, where the varying approval agencies for expatriate applications will be integrated under a single platform beginning 1 April 2019 to streamline the delivery of immigration services and security.
- Online Payment for the Immigration Pass Fee to be made available through ESD's online system by May 2019.
Photos / TalentCorp Lead photo caption: YB M Kulasegaran, Minister of Human Resources (centre left), YB Datuk Azis Jamman, Deputy Minister of Home Affairs (centre right) with YBhg Dato’ Amir Omar, Secretary-General of Human Resources Ministry (second right), YBrs Tuan Lim Eng Hock, Deputy Secretary-General (Operations) of Human Resources Ministry (far right), YBhg Dato’ Shahril Dato’ Ismail, Deputy Director-General (Control) of Malaysia’s Immigration Department (second left) and Sivakumeren, Deputy Chief Executive Officer of TalentCorp (far left) during the ribbon-cutting ceremony at the new MYXpats Centre, Level 4.