Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri also announced that the 10km radius restriction has been removed, allowing movement in the same district. However, cross-district and cross-state movements across the country are still not permitted.

During a press conference yesterday, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri shared updates on the Movement Control Order (MCO) in various areas of Malaysia, Bernama reported.  

Firstly, he announced that the Movement Control Order (MCO) in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Johor and Penang has been extended for another two weeks, from 19 February to 4 March 2021

Ismail Sabri also said that the other states that were previously under MCO will now be subjected to the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO), effective 19 February to 4 March. These states include Kedah, Perak, Negeri Sembilan, Melaka, Pahang, Terengganu, Kelantan, Kelantanese, WP Putrajaya, WP Labuan, and Sabah.

Meanwhile, Perlis will now be the only state under the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO).

The above was decided following a risk assessment presented by the Health Ministry (MOH) at a special National Security Council (MKN) session.

Ismail Sabri said: "The MOH informed that generally, cases are on a downward trend from the fifth week of this year, which was two weeks after MCO 2.0 was enforced. The MOH also confirmed that cross-state import cases had dropped starting 3 February. However, cases remain high in several states, namely Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Johor and Penang."

The MCO being implemented in all states except Sarawak was scheduled to end this Thursday. 

EMCO implemented in Kampung Sungai Maong in Kuching till 2 March 2021

Ismail Sabri also announced the implementation of the EMCO in Kampung Sungai Maong in Kuching, Sarawak from 17 February to 2 March 2021.

This is following MOH’s confirmation of a surge in COVID-19 cases in the area in the past three days.

EMCO in areas of Perak, Terengganu, and Pahang ends today

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri also announced that the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) in Kuala Kangsar, Perak (involving Felda Lasah and Kampung Besi Api); and in Kuala Berang, Terengganu (involving Felda Tersat and the Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) quarters construction site) will end today.

Additionally, the EMCO at the Bentong prisons complex and staff quarters in Pahang, originally scheduled to end on 22 February, will also end today. 

Sarawak extends CMCO to 1 March 2021

In a separate Bernama report on 13 February, Sarawak's State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) announced that the CMCO, which was scheduled to end on 14 February, has been extended till 1 March 2021.

In a statement, the SDMC also announced that the CMCO also applies to the Sibu Division which was previously placed under the MCO until 14 February.

It noted: “The decision was taken as the current COVID-19 situation in Sarawak has still not been fully brought under control."

10km radius restriction removed, cross-district travel still not allowed 

During the conference, Ismail Sabri also announced that the 10km radius restriction has been removed, effective yesterday (16 February 2021).

This means movement in the same district is allowed.

However, cross-district and cross-state movements across the country are still not permitted, except cross-districts for Perlis state, which is currently under RMCO.

He noted that the list of activities allowed and SOPs in the CMCO and RMCO zones will remain the same as previously implemented, and further details can be obtained on the Malaysian National Security Council’s website.

ALSO READ:

Watch the full announcement below: 

Photo / 123RF

Readers' Survey 2021: We'd like to hear from you! Please let us know what content is most valuable to you in 2021 by taking our 3-minute survey now. Thank you, readers!