On 3 May (Friday), 117 awards were presented to Labour Movement (LM) leaders, tripartite partners and model workers at the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) May Day Awards 2019 ceremony attended by Human Resources.
These awards recognised initiatives and outcomes for: improving workers’ wages by helping to manage their costs of living with sustainable wage increases; strengthening their welfare by protecting and advancing their interests; and advancing their work prospects by securing better jobs with better wages.
The evening's highest honour, the Medal of Honour, was presented to Coordinating Minister for Infrastructure and Minister for Transport, Khaw Boon Wan (pictured).
He has been credited with supporting various tripartite efforts in the transport industry. For example, together with the National Transport Workers’ Union, he helped to set up centralised academies, like the Singapore Bus Academy to prepare public transport workers for the future. Further, when he helmed the Ministry of Health, he worked closely with the sector unions to enhance workers’ welfare.
The other key award categories include the Comrade of Labour (Star) (Bar) and Comrade of Labour (Star), which were conferred on union leaders – former General Secretary of Amalgamated Union of Public Employees, Yeo Chun Fing and former General Secretary of Singapore Industrial and Services Employees' Union, Mr Philip Lee respectively.
Medal and plaque of commendation: HR leaders and employers recognisedOne of the categories where HR leaders were recognised was the medal of commendation, which is given to senior management personnel who, besides promoting good industrial relations and initiating workers' training and skills upgrading programmes, also supported LM and its initiatives.
In this category, the following HR leaders were recognised:
- Gloria Chin, Human Resource Director, National Environment Agency
- Francis Tan, Director of Human Capital and Development, Sheraton Towers Singapore Hotel
- Heng Chiang How, Asst Vice-President (HR Projects)/Senior Industrial Relations Advisor, PSA Corporation
- Foo Wei Lin, Director (Corporate Development Division - Human Resource & Capabilities Branch), Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore
- Florence Chan Peik Yoon, Senior Vice President, Human Resources, Singapore Post
- Gardens By The Bay
- Cleaning Express
- Swee Bee Contractor
- Horsburgh Integrated Services
- RTP Company (Singapore)
- Singapore National Eye Centre
- Aerospace Component Engineering Services
- Courts (Singapore)
- Toll Offshore Petroleum Services
- U-Ming Marine Transport (Singapore)
- Westminster Investigation & Security Management
- Jabil Circuit Singapore
- JVCKenwood Technologies Singapore
In addition to the traditional May Day Awards, a new award – Model Worker, was conferred on workers who exemplify the spirit of Worker 4.0 by displaying the traits of being ready, relevant and resilient.
Additionally, the Partner of Labour Movement award has been expanded to recognise associations as well as partners in the LM’s network that have made significant contributions through collaborations, projects or initiatives of national impact, as well as promoted and supported the LM and its initiatives.
Photo / NTUC (L-R: NTUC Secretary-General Ng Chee Meng, Coordinating Minister for Infrastructure and Minister for Transport Khaw Boon Wan, NTUC President Mary Liew )